April 15, 2010

TUNING INTO OUR AWE

My quest for inspiration continues, and is intricately entwined with the quest for that which inspires me...

That which inspires is quite unique to the individual: for me it's usually natural scenic beauty that takes my breath away. Usually that comes in the tangible form of 20,000 foot high thunderheads, or mountains of any height, or the color green in its infinite varieties, but our Earth is full of surprises that delight and inspire me. I'll bet you can name the some of the kinds of things that inspire you.

Translating that delight and inspiration into Inspiration during the process of creation, is a matter of enabling ourselves to "tune in" to our awe, thoroughly and completely. It's a delicate balance which enables this. Being overtired or mentally preoccupied, we won't be likely to find the state of inspiration we seek. We must be prepared physically, mentally and spiritually, almost like an athlete is prepared for a game. The mental preparation includes intimate knowledge of our own particular art form.

But, at the moment of real Inspiration, we are completely absorbed by the experience, and no longer so conscious of ourselves, mentally or physically, or the technical aspects of our creative process. I believe that the best creative experiences come from deep within our spiritual realm.

No comments:

Post a Comment